I probably will never buy almond milk again. It’s the easiest thing to make! It only has two ingredients, water and almonds. Can you believe that? It’s a great way to add some liquid to your smoothie bowls for a healthier alternative to juices! You can also put it into your oatmeal.
Almonds are actually a seed from a fruit plant sort of like peaches, apricots, and cherries. The Romans consider almonds a sign of fertility, happiness, and romance. Almonds are important to include in your diet because they offer a source of Vitamin E and contain monounsaturated fats. They will last up to six months in the refrigerator and one year in the freezer.
1 cup unsalted almonds
3 cups water
2 pitted dates (optional)
Cheesecloth or mesh veggie bag
- Soak almonds in a bowl of water for 24-48 hours.
- Place almonds and 3 cups water in a blender.
- Blend on high until almonds have been completely broken and water has a milky hue.
- Add pitted dates for a sweeter flavor.
- Use cheesecloth or mesh veggie bag to strain almond pieces.
- Keep refrigerated for up to 4 days.
Tip: Almond pieces can be used in other recipes such as face scrubs and muffins! You can also dry the almond pulp and make almond meal/flour.