Moroccan Chicken Soup
Picture this: your week has been so busy you don’t even have time to make a lunch. You continue to go out for every meal and those $12 lunches really start to become a dent in your pocketbook. What if you had a dish you could truly savor throughout the week? This is why soups make for a great lunch! They’re easy to create, delicious, and last forever! You can even freeze half to have another week. The chickpea topping adds a nice crunch in this tasty Moroccan style soup.
Serves: 4 to 6
Hands-on time: 40 minutes
Total Time: 1 hours 40 minutes
Gluten free, dairy free
1½ cups cooked chickpeas or 1 15 oz. BPA free can, drained and rinsed, patted dry
1½ tbsp coconut oil
Pinch sea salt
¼ tsp ground cumin
¼ tsp cayenne
⅛ ground cinnamon
Pinch ground ginger
2 tbsp coconut oil
2 stalks celery, diced
1 carrot, diced
1 yellow onion, diced
1¼ tsp ground turmeric
¾ tsp each ground ginger and cinnamon
½ tsp ground cumin
Pinch ground black pepper
1 18-oz jar unsalted diced tomatoes (with juices)
1 tsp sea salt
2 sweet potatoes, peeled and diced (about 1 lb)
6 cups low-sodium chicken or vegetable broth
2 cups diced or shredded cooked chicken
¼ cup each chopped fresh cilantro and flat-leaf parsley
3 cups lightly packed fresh spinach leaves
1 lemon, cut into wedges
- Cook the chicken beforehand. I put the chicken into a crock pot on low for 6 hours with a little chicken broth. You can also place the chicken into a saucepan and pour enough water to cover. Place over medium heat, bring to a boil, and simmer until chicken meat is no longer pink (about 10-12 minutes). Transfer to a bowl and shred the chicken with two forks.
- Prepare the chickpeas. Preheat oven to 400℉. Place chickpeas on a parchment-lined baking sheet; remove any loose skins. Roast for 20 minutes. Add 1½ tsp oil and salt; toss. Return to oven and roast for 15 or 20 minutes more, until golden brown. (If you hear any popping, that is just fine!)
- Turn oven off, toss chickpeas with ¼ tsp cumin, ¼ tsp cayenne, ⅛ tsp cinnamon and pinch of ginger. Return to oven with door closed and heat off for 1 hour, or until crunchy. Set aside to cool.
- In a medium stockpot on medium, heat 2 tbsp oil. Add celery, carrots, onion and cook until tender, about 6 minutes. Add 1¼ turmeric, ¾ tsp each ginger and cinnamon, ½ tsp cumin and black pepper and cook for 1 minute, stirring. Add tomatoes and 1 tsp salt. Cook until you start to scent deliciousness, about 2 minutes!
- Add potatoes and broth and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low and simmer, covered for 20 to 25 minutes, until potato is tender.
- Add chicken, cilantro and parsley and heat through, 2-3 minutes. Add additional broth to thin out as desired; season with additional salt. Stir in spinach and top with chickpeas. Cut lemon wedges and serve.