Oodles of Zoodles
Avocado, pistachio pesto with tomatoes, chicken and zoodles
Oodles of zoodles! What the heck are zoodles? A spiralizer is the next best thing in your kitchen. It creates a long noodle-like shape! You can use zucchinis, butternut squash, sweet potatoes and more! For this recipe we got groovy with some zucchini and made some zoodles.
Zucchini is the best-known variety of summer squash. Unlike winter squash, summer squash has edible skin and seeds. The water content in summer squash is high. Summer squash is packed with vitamin C and manganese. Vitamin C is a powerful antioxidant and has great benefits for heart health. Manganese helps facilitate protein and carbohydrate metabolism. Manganese is also great for bone metabolism. The skin is best kept on the summer squash because it has many powerful carotenoid antioxidants.
Hands-on time: 30 minutes
Total time: 30 minutes
2 zucchini spiralized
½ cup shelled, unsalted pistachios
3 garlic cloves
¼ tsp sea salt
¼ tsp pepper
1 cup fresh basil, lightly packed, plus additional chopped fresh basil leaves for garnish, optional
½ medium avocado
1 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
1 ½ tsp fresh lemon juice, approximately half a lemon
¼ cup arugula
12 sliced heirloom cherry tomatoes
- In a large pan, saute chicken on each side for 3 minutes.
- Peal and let garlic sit for 5 minutes.
- While the chicken is cooking, attach one zucchini to spiralizer and turn to create angel hair noodles.
- Saute zoodles in pan on low for 3 minutes.
- Prepare pesto: combine pistachios, garlic, salt, pepper in a food processor until pistachios are ground. Add basil, avocado, olive oil, lemon, and arugula and process until combined.
- Add chicken and zoodles to pan and coat with the pesto.
- Divide among 4 serving bowls. Garnish with tomatoes and cut basil.
- Enjoy your dish!