Roasted Red Pepper Soup
If you have been reading the blogs, you already know my love for red peppers. This soup is my all-time favorite soup. The vitamin C and carotenoid content of bell peppers increases as the fruit ripens. This creates more antioxidants, which bring many health benefits. You can ripen the fruit even after it’s been harvested for about 10 days.
2 TBS olive oil
1 small sweet onion, thinly sliced
3 cloves garlic, crushed
1 qt. Chicken broth
3 grill roasted red, yellow, orange bell peppers, peeled, seeded and diced
1 slice of bread, torn into pieces (thickens the soup)
½ tsp salt
½ tsp sweet or smoked paprika
¼ tsp ground black pepper
- Cut red peppers and deseed.
- Roast red peppers in the oven or on the grill until blackened but not burned.
- Place in a closed container and let steam for 10 minutes.
- Peel skin.
- Heat oil in saucepan. Add onion, cook until tender (5 minutes)
- Stir in garlic, cook 1 minute.
- Stir in broth peppers, bread, salt, paprika, black pepper and simmer for 25 minutes, stirring often.
- Puree soup with a food processor in small batches.