Travel Healthy with These 5 Things
July brings lots of travel. I’ve already got a few car rides booked and that involves lots of snacks. We headed to the lake for the 4th and I caught a ride with my friend Max. He hit me up the other day, “Can you have some fire snacks for the ride?”
Little did he know that my dried black beans had been soaking already for the black bean hummus. I picked up some carrots at the farmer’s market to dip and at some point I had to eat up the fruit before it went bad. When I’m on the road, I try to pack a little cooler.
I remember my mom would LOAD up the cooler as a kid. We’d head to the lake with food ready for the first day or two since the closest grocery store is nearly a 30 minute drive from the cabin. This was actually a problem my friend Karli and I faced this past weekend with no car and no wine.
When I travel, I try to make sure I have a few things on hand in the event that I cannot get to a store in a timely manner. Here is my list of 5 things I try to pack for healthy eating on the go:
- Water bottle: most gas stations will have a water fountain. There are also water fountains at every airport. You can avoid purchasing that $7 bottle of water in the airport by bringing your own bottle and filling it up! They will let you through security as long as it is empty. Carrying a water bottle with you will keep you hydrated. Drinking water throughout a long flight will help with jet lag. Water can also help curve your cravings for those unhealthy snacks you just don’t need.
- Nuts: Nuts are packed with protein, which will help keep you fuller for longer. Snacking smart will help you avoid those sugary candies and foods found in many gas stations. Try these sweet and spicy mixed nuts!
- Fruit and veggies: These come in handy when you need a quick pick me up in the middle of the day. Grabbing an apple with some peanut butter instead of an energy drink will keep your mind clearer and help you avoid that spike of energy followed by the crash! I love to dip my veggies in hummus while I travel for a nice road trip snack.
- Lemons: I squeeze half a lemon in my water each morning. It aids in detox and is great for improving skin health. Read this blog post for more benefits!
- Hummus: You can now find little hummus packages in many gas stations. They come with different things you can dip into the hummus or make your own and bring veggies to dip. Try my original hummus, roasted red pepper hummus, or black bean hummus.
Test these tips on your next journey and let me know how it goes!